All life has inestimable value even the weakest and most vulnerable, the sick, the old, the unborn and the poor, are masterpieces of God’s creation, made in his own image, destined to live forever, and deserving of the utmost reverence and respect. – Pope Francis, Message to Catholics at annual Day for Life in Britain & Ireland July 28, 2013
As Catholics, we support legislative initiatives that protect and promote the protection of all human life and the dignity of the human person. In the General Assembly and the United States Congress, legislation is introduced that would expand access to the destruction of human life through federal funding for abortion or easing common sense regulations that seek to protect women, children and families. As people of life, we are also blessed with the courage of many fine women and men who introduce legislation that would curtail taxpayer funding for abortion and other initiatives that seek to protect us.
Where does the Church stand on a number of critical issues of life?
- Supports ensuring alternatives to abortion for women by providing funding to programs that assist women in crisis pregnancies.
- Supports legislation to promote adoption programs.
- Supports efforts to provide women with a choice to be fully informed about abortion with scientific facts.
- Supports funding for research using adult stem cells.
- Supports a ban on human cloning.
- Opposes embryo creation and destruction for stem cell research.
- Supports disclosure of trafficking of human eggs and fetal tissue.
- Supports extending protections to unborn victims of violence.
- Supports updating the statistical reporting of abortions law to include procedure used, week of gestation, and county where patient resides.
- Opposes the use of taxpayer funds for abortions, human cloning or embryonic stem cell research, including funds allocated to those organizations that engage in or advocate for these practices.
- Opposes any state efforts to legalize assisted suicide and/or euthanasia.
- Opposes the death penalty.